Livestock and poultry
Running livestock or chooks on small acreage can be a rewarding way to use the land you have. However, with this opportunity comes the responsibility to understand:
- your animals' needs - water, nutrition, welfare
- diseases that may impact your stock and how to prevent this
- your legal requirements and how to protect the local farm industry.
Following are a number of articles that will help you better manage and care for your animals.
- Rural Living Handbook
- Home Butchering - what you need to know
- Preventing livestock theft
- Beekeeping for Community and environment
- The risks of disposing of food scraps on-farm
- Buying livestock through Facebook or Gumtree? Be aware of the risks!!
- Have animals? You need a PIC!
- An introduction to keeping chickens
- Egg-cellent Eggshells with Dr Lou Baskind
- Beef cattle vaccines (NSW DPI)
- How vaccines work (NSW DPI)
- Producing free range eggs in Quorrobolong - Garth Short
- Sustainable beef farming on Craven Plateau
- Farming for tomorrow on Coopernook Dairy
- Animal Health Issues in Drought Conditions
- Geriatric Goat Care