Access to information

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) sets out rules about how the public can access government information from NSW Government agencies.

In NSW, you have a right to access most government information under the GIPA Act, unless there's an overriding public interest against disclosure. These rights are designed to meet community expectations of a more open and transparent government and encourages the routine and proactive release of government information.

As a NSW Government Executive Agency, Local Land Services is required to meet the requirements of the GIPA Act.

How to access our information

There's four ways that our information will be made available:

  1. Mandatory release
  2. Authorised proactive release
  3. Informal release
  4. Access application.

Mandatory release

The GIPA Act requires NSW government agencies to make certain types of government information publicly available, unless there's an overriding public interest against disclosure. This information is called 'open access information' and includes:

When wanting access to information, you should check the links above to see if the information you're  looking for is already publicly available.

Authorised proactive release

In addition to the 'open access information' which we're required by law to make available, we're authorised to proactively make any government information we believe is of interest to the public freely available unless there's an overriding public interest against disclosure of the information.

We'll proactively release as much information as possible. If you can't find the information you're looking for on this website, you can ask us whether the information has already been released by emailing

Informal release

If the information you’re after is in the public interest and not sensitive, then we may release it to you without a formal access application. Please contact us at to make an informal request.

Under the GIPA Act, we're not required to release information without an access application. We reserve the right to require you to lodge an access application.

Access application

If you haven’t been able to get the information you need in any other way, then you have a right to formally request specific information from us by submitting a formal GIPA access application.

The Department of Regional NSW manages these applications on behalf of Local Land Services. Please visit their website for further information.

How to contact us

To find out more about accessing our information, please contact us at