Apply for a permit

Apiarist Alert

Local Land Services is currently working to transition to the BPASS system and to allow for a seamless transition we are temporarily unable to issue any apiary permits on Travelling Stock Reserves.

We apologise for any inconvenience this causes and are working as quickly as possible to have the new system up and running.

Once the BPASS system includes all the apiary sites on TSRs, it will provide a one stop shop for apiarists, allowing them to apply for and manage their public apiary site permits and licences all in one place.

More information about the BPASS system is available here.

What do I need to do before moving stock?

Local Land Services can help you understand your requirements for moving stock and help you obtain the correct paperwork for your type of stock movement.

Forms that may be required for moving stock include transported stock statements, national vendor declarations, animal health statements and stock permits. You can find more information on these here.

The information below will help you understand any special requirements for movements of different species:

Transported stock statements (TSS) are required for any movement of stock where an NVD is not required (eg transporting stock for agistment).

If you are moving livestock between properties and do not require an NVD, please contact your local office to purchase a TSS book.

If you are moving horses within NSW, please download the TSS form for horse movements. PDF, 230.9 KB.

For interstate livestock movements, livestock export and documentation, please visit the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development's livestock movements web page.

Which stock permit do I need?

There are four classes of stock permits, as outlined under the Local Land Services Act 2013:

  • walking stock permit
  • grazing stock permit
  • roadside grazing stock permit
  • routine stock movement permit.

Walking stock permit

A walking permit may be used to walk stock from the owner's property to another property not owned by the stock owner.

Grazing stock permit

This is generally issued to the landholder adjoining an enclosed travelling stock reserve (TSR) for use over an extended period. It’s a condition of the permit that travelling stock are still permitted to access the TSR. A grazing permit is also issued for the use on an open TSR.

Roadside grazing stock permit

This type of permit is issued for a short period of time, over a specific section of road and usually in times of drought or for hazard reduction. It’s normally issued to the landholder adjoining the area as it may not have watering facilities. Therefore stock are moved back to the property at night. These permits are issued for shire roads.

Routine stock movement permit

This permit applies to routine movements of stock between two or more properties owned or occupied by the same person and are issued to local stock owners annually.

Download an application form. PDF, 168.35 KB

If you are moving livestock between one or more holdings, where you are not the owner/occupier, you must get consent from the owner. The landholder consent form is to be used in conjunction with the application form above.

Download a landholder consent form. PDF, 137.72 KB

For more information on Routine Stock Movement Permit applications, speak to your local customer service team today.

Getting a permit

To obtain a stock movement permit, contact Local Land Services on 1300 795 299. Permit fees may vary according to region, so it’s important to talk to your local office before sending in your application form.

All stock movements must be accompanied by the appropriate form of documentation and meet the necessary National Livestock Identification Scheme (NLIS) requirements. This ensures that we can monitor movements and trace diseases.

Owners also need a property identification code (PIC) before trading or moving cattle, sheep, goats or pigs in NSW.

Related information