Moving and selling livestock

Australia is a world leader in disease control and traceability of stock consigned for human consumption. To maintain this status, stock activity needs to be monitored.

Australia’s stock monitoring system

Local Land Services is a key stakeholder in Australia’s National Livestock Identification System (NLIS).

The NLIS and NSW’s Property Identification Codes (PICs) mean we can identify and trace livestock movements to respond quickly to major food safety or disease incidents.

All livestock movements must be accompanied by the appropriate documentation and meet the necessary NLIS requirements for monitoring and traceability.

To correctly move livestock, you must:

  • have a PIC
  • have a National Vendor Declaration and/or Transported Stock Statement form, and
  • ensure all livestock have correct NLIS tags in place.

What you need to do before moving stock

Local Land Services can help you understand your requirements for moving stock and help you obtain the correct paperwork for your type of stock movement.

Forms that may be required for moving stock include transported stock statements, national vendor declarations, animal health statements and stock permits.

The information below will help you understand any special requirements for movements of different species:

Important information for horse owners

When moving horses in NSW you are required to have the correct paperwork to avoid being fined in the event you are stopped by authorities.

All horse movements within NSW are required to have a Transported Stock Statement (TSS) completed before commencing the journey. This documentation is important for disease traceability and knowing where horses are located in the event of a biosecurity threat.

For more information on moving horses within NSW or to find out when a TSS is required, please read our frequently asked questions. PDF, 412.85 KB

To simplify the process of obtaining a TSS form, we have created a free downloadable PDF specific for horse movements only. To download please click here.    PDF, 230.9 KB

For interstate livestock movements, livestock export and documentation, please visit the Department of Primary Industries’ (DPI) livestock movements webpage.

Livestock movement documentation

National vendor declarations

National Vendor Declarations (NVDs) are required for any movement of stock to be sold to processors, saleyards or for private sales.

NVDs may also be used for movements of stock between properties with different PICs in place of a transported stock statement (ie moving stock to agistment).

Producers must obtain NVD documents through Meat and Livestock Australia's Livestock Production Assurance scheme.

To find out more, visit the Meat and Livestock Australia website or call their hotline on 1800 683 111.

Transported stock statements

Transported stock statements (TSS) are required for any movement of stock where an NVD is not required (eg transporting stock for agistment).

If you are moving livestock between properties and do not require an NVD, please contact your local office to purchase a TSS book.

If you are moving horses within NSW, you can download a horse specific TSS here. PDF, 230.9 KB

NB. LPA accredited producers should use an NVD for all movements of livestock from a PIC to any other destination.

You have obligations for ensuring the safe and humane transport of livestock.

Animal health statements

Animal health statements for cattle, sheep and goats are not mandatory in NSW. However they may be required for some stock movements, especially interstate or through certain saleyards.

As part of showground biosecurity and the management of animal health, agricultural show societies require exhibitors to complete a declaration on the health status of animals participating in shows.

Download animal health statement forms and show health declarations from Animal Health Australia's Farm Biosecurity website.

Stock permits

Contact your Local Land Services office on 1300 795 299 to obtain a stock movement permit.

Permit fees may vary from region to region so contact your Local Land Services office before you send in your application form.

There are four classes of stock permits as outlined under the Local Land Services Act 2013:

  • Walking stock permit
  • Grazing stock permit
  • Roadside grazing stock permit
  • Annual stock movement permit

About the National Livestock Identification System database

The NLIS database must be updated for any movement, agistment or sale of sheep, goats and cattle. This is generally the responsibility of the purchaser/receiver of livestock.

For detailed information on these procedures call the NLIS hotline on 1800 654 743 (1800 NLIS ID) or visit the DPI website.

Read more about the NLIS.

National Livestock Identification System Tags

A NLIS tag is required when:

  • livestock are exiting your property
  • livestock are purchased and brought onto your property

To order your NLIS tags, visit your local rural supplies merchant. You will need to provide your PIC.

If you need to move your livestock before you’ve ordered or received your NLIS ear tags, please contact Local Land Services or advice and to obtain a permit to move without identifiers. Fees will apply.

Look up your Local Land Services region.

Related information