Lodge my annual return of land and stock
Each year, NSW landholders who are liable to pay rates or have a Property Identification Code (PIC) are required to submit an Annual Land and Stock Return to Local Land Services. Annual returns are essentially a 'farm census' and provide us with important information on land use and livestock numbers across the state.
The information you provide is invaluable and allows us to:
- quickly and accurately respond to emergency or biosecurity events
- protect our ‘clean and green’ reputation against pests and diseases
- build a statewide picture of agricultural land use and livestock numbers
- monitor flocks and herds for emergency animal diseases
- help keep domestic and international markets open.
Even if you have no stock, it is important to lodge your annual return. Information related to cropping and horticulture enterprises is invaluable in a biosecurity event such as a pest or disease outbreak. Lodging your annual return is also a legal requirement.
Annual returns are to be lodged no later than 31 August each year.
Which stock do I count?
We require all landholdings that carry livestock six months or older to record numbers at 30 June and let us know, regardless of whether they:
- belong to the occupier
- are agisted on your land
- are kept as pets
- are on the property under another arrangement.
Please note that pigs of any age must be counted, as well as flocks of 100 or more poultry.
Lodging my return online
This year we are encouraging landholders to lodge their return online to help reduce contact with staff in the office and mail services, keeping everyone safe from COVID-19.
Lodging online helps
- Reduce contact with paper forms.
- Saves on postage or a trip to the office.
- Builds your digital confidence.
- Ensures your form is received by the 31 August deadline.
The online form asks the same questions as the paper form and takes only a few minutes to complete.
Here’s how you do it
- Look up your holding reference number and unique online password on the top right corner of the form Local Land Services mailed to you.
- Head to the online portal
- Login and fill in your land and stock details.
Please note that forms that have the wording Reprint on the top of them cannot be lodged online, but must be posted to the address below.
Improving your online experience
We encourage you to use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Mozilla Firefox when lodging your Annual Land and Stock Return portal. Unfortunately, Internet Explorer has proven problematic in the past so for a more seamless experience, we encourage you to use a more contemporary web browser.
Please also note that for security reasons, you may be asked to complete a simple test that proves you are human and not a computer trying to break into a password protected account. This test usually takes the form of identifying distorted text or matching images.
Lodging my return by mail
Completed returns can be mailed to:
Local Land Services
Locked Bag 6013
Orange NSW 2800
How to change your details
If there are incorrect details on your annual return and you are submitting manually, please do not mark changes on the form as they are scanned electronically and changes won’t be updated.
Preventing livestock theft
April 2020Petrea Wait, District Veterinarian, MonaroDeclining stock numbers as a result of the prolonged drought in ...
While dry times come and go, nothing can fully prepare farmers for drought. Over the last few years, parts of NSW ha...