Aboriginal Community Groups
Local Land Services is a regional-focused NSW Government agency delivering quality customer services to farmers, landholders and the wider community.
We help people make better decisions about the land they manage and assist rural and regional communities to be profitable and sustainable into the future.
Greater Sydney is one of eleven LLS regions, managed by local boards that cover NSW. Each region is accountable for delivering services that add value to local industries, enhance natural resources, protect industries from pests and disease, and help communities respond to emergencies like flood, fire and drought.
At Local Land Services, we support Aboriginal people to care for Country, share traditional land management and ecological knowledge, and help protect and strengthen Aboriginal cultural heritage.
Local Boards headed by local Chairs work closely with farmers, landholders and communities. Each region developing operational management and strategic plans that prioritise service delivery on a regional basis, reflecting regional priorities.
Through these functions, Greater Sydney LLS is committed to engaging with Aboriginal Communities to enhance the values of managing Country by protecting the natural environment and Aboriginal Cultural Heritage (ACH).
Read more about the Aboriginal Communities Groups HERE
Landcare and bushcare groups in Greater Sydney
- Find a group in your local area Are you interested in making a difference to the environment while meeting like-minded people and learning new skills? Join one of the hundreds of landcare and bushcare groups listed on the NSW Landcare Gateway website www.landcare.nsw.gov.au, or you can talk to your local Council.
- Find a coordinator in your local area Six local coordinators, a regional coordinator and a regional agricultural landcare facilitator are available to support Landcarers and Landcare groups across Greater Sydney. View this map of the coordinators and find out how to get in touch.
- Starting a new landcare group Can't find a local group or would like to start your own? Visit our "Starting a landcare group" page to find out more.
- Greater Sydney Local Land Services Landcare Strategy 2015-2020 We have developed a Landcare Strategy to guide how Greater Sydney Local Land Services supports, celebrates and promotes landcare activity across the region. The Strategy is effective from 2015 to 2020 and includes an internal Action Plan that is updated annually. Read the Landcare Strategy.
- Greater Sydney Local Land Services Landcare Strategy 2021 - 2026 The 2021 - 2026 strategy has been finalised after community consultation. Read the Landcare Strategy here.
- Greater Sydney Landcare Community of Practice The Community of Practice includes volunteers, coordinators and supporters participating in Landcare knowledge sharing and networking activities. These include regional Forums, Awards, Gatherings (mini-musters) and workshops. View a summary from the 2022 inaugural Greater Sydney Landcare and Bushcare Gathering here
Resources for volunteers and coordinators
There are a range of resources for both volunteer coordinators and volunteers. Visit our "Resources for volunteers and coordinators" page to find out more.
Other Landcare Organisations
Greater Sydney has a number of landcare networks that work to support local landcare groups.
- Greater Sydney Landcare Network A community-run network that aims to connect and support bushcare and landcare volunteers from across the greater Sydney region http://greatersydneylandcare.org
- Hawkesbury Landcare Network A new community-based organisation that supports landholders and volunteers to work toward sustainable agriculture and natural resource aims. Contact the HLN Local Landcare Coordinator on email@example.com
- Central Coast Community Environment Network works with local groups to support ecologically sustainable development. http://www.cen.org.au/
- Cattai Hills Environment Network Supporting landholders in the Cattai and Little Cattai Creek catchments in the Hills District of north west Sydney. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
There are also organisations that work to support landcare at a state and national landcare level.
- Landcare NSW Inc is a state-wide community based Landcare network that acts a collective voice for Landcare across NSW. They have also created some great resources including "Landcare in A Box", a one-stop-shop for all your policies, forms and Landcare related fact sheets. www.landcarensw.org.au
- Landcare Australia Ltd is a national not-for-profit organisation that supports Landcare by creating resources, providing grants to Landcare groups, and attracting corporate sponsorship. They have a range of useful resources to help you manage your Landcare or Bushcare group including a New Landcare Group Start Kit, a Landcare Social Media Kit and a range of promotional templates and logos. www.landcareonline.com.au
Marketing fundamentals for direct to market producers
From the Ground UpWe have partnered with marketing expert Kim V Goldsmith to deliver a series of resources for farme...