North Coast LLS controlled Travelling Stock Reserves

Local Land Services is the appointed Crown Land Manager for more than 300 TSRs in the North Coast region.

Our network of TSRs are a mixture of historical stock routes, productive native pastures, cattle camps and stock watering places. The use and distribution of TSRs varies markedly from other regions and we manage our TSRs for a diverse range of customers and stakeholders.

Historical context

The TSR network was established more than 150 years ago to allow livestock to move to and from markets. It is believed that many of these routes followed pathways used traditionally by Aboriginal people to travel across country. Many are next to or follow tracks and rivers.

While TSRs are still important for travelling and grazing stock, they are also widely recognised for playing a key role in landscape connectivity and biodiversity conservation across NSW. LLS invites the public use and enjoyment of TSRs. However, activities such as overnight camping, timber-cutting, firewood collection and the use of motorised recreational vehicles are not permitted. These restrictions are designed to protect the integrity of TSRs which are an asset of state significance.

A Permit is not needed for you to visit our North Coast TSRs during the day for activities such as walking, birdwatching or riding a bicycle or horse. Please talk to our staff if there is an activity you'd like to do on a TSR and we'll do our best to help you.

Activities requiring a Permit


Livestock owners may apply to LLS for a Permit to graze stock on a Travelling Stock Reserve.

North Coast LLS generally issues one of two different types of Grazing Permits; Short Term (STGP), generally up to 12 months, and Long Term (LTGP). Long Term Grazing Permits are issued via tender process for up to 5 years.

Other Reserve Use

A Reserve Use Permit (RUP) may be issued for activities such as occasional activities by clubs or scientific research. Fees may apply.


TSRs are important places of native vegetation and support the apiary industry as a food source for honey bees. Permit inquiries should be made to the Department of Primary Industries, who regulate the apiary industry through their BPASS system.

Roadside Grazing Permits

When intending to graze stock along a public roadside, livestock owners and handlers must first obtain approval from the road owner (usually the local council) and then present this consent to LLS to obtain a Roadside Grazing Permit.

Routine Stock Movement Permits

This permit applies to routine movements of stock between two or more properties owned or occupied by the same person and is issued to local stock owners annually. Applications are made through your nearest Local Land Services Office.

Cultural Heritage

First Nations Peoples' cultural heritage

TSRs are important to First Nations Peoples for access and connection to Country, cultural practices and cultural heritage protection. Many TSRs are also the subject of First Nations Peoples' land claims (NSW Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983) or Native Title determination (Commonwealth Native Title Act 1993). These claims may eventually lead to a transfer of land and/or management agreements with First Nations Peoples.

TSRs also contain many places of historic or scientific significance associated with pastoralism, droving life and coach travel.

Call us for more information on Travelling Stock Reserves on 1300 795 299

Related information