Buying or selling livestock? What you need to know


By Neale Whitsed
Senior Biosecurity Officer

P: 02 6051 2205 | M: 427 362 733 | E:

The movement of livestock in NSW is underpinned by the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS).

The NLIS enables the identification and tracing of livestock, which are crucial for protecting and enhancing Australia’s reputation as a producer of quality beef and sheep meat.

It also helps to quickly contain major food safety and disease incidents.

We have a range of short explanatory videos on our YouTube channel that cover buying and selling livestock. You can view the entire playlist at this link: The first in the series can be viewed below.

To buy, sell or move livestock in NSW you must:

  • Make sure you have a Property Identification Code (PIC). To register for a PIC, contact your nearest Local Land Services office on 1300 795 299.
  • Become accredited with the Livestock Production Assurance (LPA) Program. Contact the LPA Helpline on 1800 683 111 or visit
  • Order National Vendor Declarations (NVDs), which are available in booklets, or in electronic form as an eNVD. Contact the LPA Helpline on 1800 683 111 or visit
  • Create an NLIS database account online at All individual cattle movements and mob-based sheep movements must be recorded on the NLIS database. Movements to and from saleyards, abattoirs and shows are done by the operators or organisers. All other movements must be recorded on the database by the owner or receiver of the livestock.
  • Order and purchase NLIS devices (usually ear tags) from your local rural merchandiser.
  • Check stock are tagged - before moving off a property each animal must have an NLIS tag.
  • Complete the NVD, make sure you answer all questions, sign the declaration and ensure the NVD is legible. Keep a copy for seven years after the sale/movement.
  • Complete the transfer on the NLIS database (if the movement is not to a saleyard, abattoir or show).

For more information contact Murray Local Land Services offices on 1300 795 299 or visit

Related information