Transporting horses? What you need to know


By Linda Searle
District Veterinarian

P: 03 5881 9919 | M: 0427 629 740 | E:

Toy car towing a trailer with toy horse across a mapHorse ownership is incredibly popular across NSW. From pony club to stockhorses, equestrian sports to racehorses, our equine industry is extensive and diverse. Horses are wonderful companion animals, but they are also classed as livestock.

Did you know that every property where a horse is kept must have a Property Identification Code (PIC)? This includes agistment properties and short-term paddocking arrangements.

A PIC is a unique eight-character code assigned by Local Land Services to any property on which livestock, including horses, are kept. This allows the tracing of livestock in the event of disease outbreaks, chemical residue issues, or emergency situations.

When horses are moved, it is a legal requirement that you complete a Transported Stock Statement (TSS).

TSS forms for horses are available for free. You can download, photocopy, and have a bunch on hand to use when necessary.

Police monitoring road movements can request a TSS, and penalties may apply for not having a completed TSS with you.

A TSS is required in most instances when you are moving horses. However, some exemptions do exist:

  • Horses being transported to or from an agricultural show, gymkhana, exhibition, pony club meeting, or similar function conducted by an incorporated club, entity or association.
  • Racehorses or harness racing horses, or working horses being moved to or from any place for work
  • Horses being moved under a stock permit issued under the Local Land Services Act 2013
  • Horses being moved under a control order, emergency order, biosecurity direction, permit issued, or a biosecurity zone established under the Biosecurity Act 2015
  • Horses being transported from interstate and travelling within NSW for up to 30 km before proceeding back into the other state or territory as part of an unbroken journey
  • Horses being transported across or along a road from one part of a property to another which would be adjoining except for being separated by the road
  • Horses being transported to a place for treatment by a veterinary practitioner.

Common instances in which you DO require a TSS include:

  • Going to a farrier to be shod
  • Moving to a new grazing block
  • Going somewhere to have a ride that is not part of an organized event
  • Going to a breeding facility (except for thoroughbred or standardbred racehorses)
  • Going to a riding school for riding lessons
  • Going to a trail ride.

Further information can be found in our FAQs, or on our website, or speak to your local office online or by calling 1300 795 299.

Related information