How do I pay my rates?
When you receive your Local Land Services rates notice, you can use our payment portal to pay your rates online. You can also pay by:
- BPAY – telephone and internet banking
- by phone – call 1300 738 070 to pay by credit card (MasterCard or Visa)
- or by cheque.
If you are making multiple payments, please pay these separately against the relevant customer reference number. This is particularly important for customers who receive multiple rates notices as each rates notice has a unique customer reference number.
For example, if you are paying for multiple properties, please pay each invoice for the property separately. That way we will be able to match you up correctly in our systems.
Understanding your rates notice
This is a sample of the 2023 rates notice. The numbers and steps will help you understand each part of the invoice.
- Invoice number: helps us identify your rates notice should you wish to discuss it with us.
- Payment due date: payment of your rates is required by this date.
- Notional carrying capacity: this is calculated from the rateable area (land size of the holding in hectares) multiplied by the stock units per hectare. This shapes how your rates are calculated (see points 4, 5, 6 and 7).
- Rates – General: calculated using your notional carrying capacity and a variable component plus a base charge.
- Rates – Animal Health: calculated using your notional carrying capacity and a variable component plus a base charge.
- Levy – Meat Industry: this is a statutory levy collected on behalf of NSW Food Authority and is calculated using your notional carrying capacity and a variable component plus a base charge.
- Special Purpose Pest Management Rate: this is rated for NSW Department of Primary Industries to contribute to plague locust and pest management activities and is calculated using your notional carrying capacity and a variable component plus a base charge.
- Credit balance: the amount your account is in credit for from previous payments made.
- Arrears: the amount still owed from previous rates notices.
- Total amount due: this balance shows the required total payment.
- Payment options: several contactless payment options are available to pay your rates, please call the enquiry line if you have any questions.
Paying previous years' rates
If you have rates or interest to pay from previous years, you can:
- pay your rates online through the online payment portal
- use BPAY – telephone and internet banking.
- pay over the phone – call 1300 738 070 to pay by MasterCard or Visa.
You can also post a cheque with the remittance slip on your rates notice.
Financial support to pay your rates
If you are experiencing hardship, please contact your nearest Local Land Services office to discuss what options we have available, which could include setting up a payment plan.
Our friendly customer service team will be able to discuss with you your options depending on your situation.
The NSW Government has a range of financial assistance programs for eligible landholders to help them recover from natural disaster events and deal with difficult financial situations.
Please visit the Rural Assistance Authority or Service NSW for more information.
Want to know more?
For more information about Local Land Services rates, read more about why you pay rates.
Partnerships and funding
We work with a diverse range of partners to achieve our vision of resilient communities in productive and healthy la...
Riverina Local Land Services Partnership Prospectus
Here at Riverina Local Land Services, we strive for excellence in delivering quality customer services to farmers, l...