Mental health support for disaster affected farmers

We know the immense toll that drought, fire, flood and disease can take on your wellbeing. If you’re not feeling yourself, there are plenty of support services out there that can help. Taking care of yourself is the first step in taking care of your family and your farm.

If you or someone else is in immediate danger, call 000 or go to your nearest hospital emergency department.

In-person support

See your General Practitioner (GP) for advice, mental health treatment plan or referral. Your GP can also refer you to specialised mental health clinicians and services, such as psychologists, social workers, mental health nurses or psychiatrists.

Online counselling and information services

  • Rural Adversity Mental Health Program informs, educates and connects people living and working across regional, rural and remote NSW, to mental health support.
  • Rural Aid offers free, confidential counselling to Rural Aid registered farmers and their family.
  • Beyond Blue can help you chat to a counsellor, connect you with peers, and find mental health professionals in your area.
  • Phoenix Australia can help you understand, prevent and recover from the impacts of trauma such as a natural disaster, and support trauma-impacted loved ones or communities.

Telephone support services

  • NSW Mental Health Line - 1800 011 511
  • Lifeline - 13 11 14
  • MensLine Australia - 1300 78 99 78
  • Rural Aid Counselling Line - 1300 175 594
  • Alcohol & Other Drugs Information Service - 1800 422 599
  • Suicide Callback Service - 1300 659 467
  • Beyond Blue Support Service - 1300 224 636

Children and young people can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or chat online at

Financial support

The NSW Rural Recovery Support Service aids rural landholders and primary producers who have been impacted by the recent floods. They can help you prepare grant applications, find the right technical advice, and link to a wide range of personal, business and financial services – email or call 0448 077 684.

The NSW Rural Assistance Authority provides tailored access to loans, grants, rebates and subsidies for primary producers and small business operators.

The Rural Financial Counselling Service provide free, confidential planning support to farming as well as rural and regional small businesses to build financial capacity and resilience. Find a local counsellor on their website or by calling 1800 319 458.

The Australian government provides a payment for farming families in financial hardship. Visit Services Australia to get more information about the Farm Household Allowance or to apply.

Related information