Soil moisture network project
The Hunter Soil Moisture Network is a new initiative to provide landholders with soil moisture information to enable better property management. It will increase landholders confidence in decision making across critical times of the year. The network provides real time data to support farmers to make decisions around management of climatic variability, natural resource management and seasonal conditions.
The network includes nine strategically positioned soil moisture probes across the Upper Hunter. Each probe is set to one meter depth and measures soil moisture and temperature every 15 minutes. The soil probes are at Borambil, Merriwa, Gungal Timor, Scone, Singleton, Mt Olive, Gloucester, Brookfield, Vacy, Gresford, Dungog, Kramback, Taree, Oxley Island, Bulahdelah and Wingham.
This network provides real time local data to assist:
- landholders pre-empt decisions concerning feed or fertiliser requirements and timing of livestock sales,
- increase producer confidence when making critical decisions at critical stages of the season,
- underpin response strategies which increase farmer and ecosystem resilience by optimising farm productivity and natural resource condition and,
- minimise risk to graziers profitability and land condition by matching stocking rates to feed availability, management of fertiliser application and pasture renovation requirements.
This Soil Probe Network partnership project has been supported by Hunter LLS, through funding from the Australian Government's National Landcare program, Upper Hunter Sustainable Farmers Group, Singleton Beef and Land Management Association, Mid Coast Dairy Advancement Group, Dungog-Gresford Land and Beef Association, MACH Energy, Glencore Australia, and Hunter Catchment Contributions.
The project has been modelled on the southern soil moisture network and will be expanded to other areas of the Hunter Local Land Services this year.
Look up live results for local areas or select your area of interest on the Hunter regional overview map below.
- Merriwa (Alcherinca)
- Merriwa (Neverfail)
- Mount Olive
- Lower Hunter (Brookfield)
- Paterson River (Vacy)
- Allyn River (Gresford)
- Williams River (Dungog)
- Gloucester (Forbesdale)
- Taree (Jones Island)
- Oxley Island