Annual land and stock returns FAQs

At Local Land Services, we receive many questions about the annual return of land and stock for landowners.

Your annual return help us to protect our primary industries from pests and diseases by building a statewide picture of agricultural land use and livestock numbers.

Are you unsure about the annual return? Contact us, or view our frequently asked questions below.

What dates do I need to remember?

The customer portal opens 30 June 2022.

Your ALSR must be completed by 31 August 2022.

What should I do if my contact details are incorrect?

If the details on your ALSR are incorrect, please visit our website and use the change of details form to update your details. You can also contact your local office for assistance.

If you are submitting your return manually, please do not mark changes on the form as your ALSR is scanned electronically and any changes won’t be updated.

Which stock should I count?

All livestock over six months of age must be counted on your return, regardless of whether they are yours, they are being agisted or even pets.

Pigs of any age must be counted, as well as flocks of 100 or more poultry.

What if I don’t own any livestock?

Many landholders don’t have any livestock and utilise their property for horticulture and cropping or enjoy their property for its biodiversity and lifestyle value.

We still need you to complete your ALSR by ticking 'nil return' to ensure you do not incur additional livestock charges on your rates and to make certain our records are up to date in case of emergencies.

What if I am leasing the property?

As you have received this paperwork, our records show you as the legal occupier of this holding therefore you must lodge the ALSR.

What if I am not the occupier?

If you were not the occupier of all or part of the holding on 30 June, please use the change of details form on our website to update your details. Alternatively, contact your local office and they can confirm if you need to lodge a ALSR.

What if the property is changing hands?

If you are in the process of selling or leasing your land (including exchanging contracts) and are still the legal occupier on 30 June, you are responsible for the ALSR.

Do I complete a separate form for each holding?

Yes. A separate ALSR must be lodged for each of your holdings. Do not lodge all your stock on one ALSR if they were not residing on one holding at 30 June.

Audits are carried out on ALSR so information lodged must be true and correct.

How will my information be used?

The livestock numbers on your completed form are vital in assisting us when responding in emergencies. It also determines whether the Animal Health Rate and Meat Industry Levy are charged on your rates notice the following year.

Rates charges are primarily based on your land’s Notional Carrying Capacity and size, and not the numbers submitted on your ALSR.

What else do I need to do if I own livestock?

If you have livestock on your property, including livestock as pets, you must have a Property Identification Code (PIC). If you have registered livestock on this ALSR and you do not have a PIC please complete the PIC application form on our website.

What happens if I fail to lodge my ALSR?

The Animal Health and Meat Industry Levy will automatically apply on your rates notice if you fail to complete your ALSR.

Still unsure?

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding the annual return, contact your regional Local Land Service office.

Related information