Help & advice
Who are we and what do we do?
Local Land Services is a regional NSW Government agency that works to secure the future of Australian agriculture and the environment for NSW communities.
We are a statewide organisation that delivers regional services, shaped for each community, industry and landscape.
Our staff work with land managers and the community. We help people make better decisions about the land they manage and assist rural and regional communities to be profitable and sustainable well into the future.
We connect the community to groups, information, support and funding to improve agricultural productivity and better manage our natural resources.
We’re here for you:
- We develop resilient, self-reliant and prepared local communities
- We develop profitable and sustainable primary industries
- We develop healthy and connected natural environments.
Local Land Services snapshot
Local Land Services works to provide productive, healthy and resilient landscapes and communities.
Our roles and responsibilities
Local Land Services works with the community to minimise risks and impact on your environmental property. We cover:
- livestock health
- natural resource management
- stock movement and identification
- maintaining travelling stock reserves
- native vegetation management
- private native forestry
- protecting our agricultural industry
- pest and insect control
- agricultural production
- emergency and biosecurity management.
Your roles and responsibilities
Local Land Services works with you to offer advice and support for landowners. Your responsibility as a landowner means meeting your legal obligations. This includes:
- Lodging an annual land and stock return
- Letting us know of any changes in address, occupancy and ownership
- Pay your rates
- Controlling and declaring pests on your land
- Reporting notifiable diseases
- Meet your obligations when moving stock.
Our partners and investors
Local Land Services are funded in a variety of ways:
- A NSW Government Treasury grant funds our core functions.
- The NSW Government also support our work through funding, providing on-ground programs to support biodiversity, native vegetation, threatened species and Aboriginal cultural heritage initiatives.
- The Australian Government contributes funding through the National Landcare Program, which helps drive sustainable agriculture, as well as supporting the protection, conservation and rehabilitation of Australia’s natural environment.
- We also invest other Government funding programs into regional NSW such as the Drought Recovery Program.
- Our work is also supported by specific programs regionally, such as the Hunter Catchment Contribution in the Hunter region.
If you have any questions or would like to know more information about our partners, contact us.
About landholders rates
The rates you pay mean we can support your local agricultural industry. Rates are allocated completely to biosecurity, to provide protection against pests, weeds and disease and to maintain vital market access for producers.
- General rates
- Animal health rates
- Special purpose rates.
Paying your rates
Rate notices are issued yearly. If you require more information about rates or payment options, contact your Local Land Services office.