Skip to content

How can I access information?

Step 1: Look for the information on the website

Local Land Services publishes a large volume of material on its website. We try to release as much information as possible, either through our website or in another appropriate way, and free of charge at the lowest reasonable cost. Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, certain information is required by law to be available on our website, free of charge. This is called 'open access information'.

In addition to the open access information which Local Land Services is required by law to make available, the organisation also proactively releases a large volume of other information.

If you cannot find the information you are looking for on our websites, you can ask us whether the information has already been released by Local Land Services proactively in some other form, such as in print.

Step 2: Make an informal request

If the information you are after has not already been published Local Land Services, but is information which raises no particular concerns (in terms of possible public interest reasons why it should be kept confidential), then the organisation may be able to release it to you on request without the requirement of having to make a formal application.

If you think this applies to the information you are after you can contact us to make an informal request.

Generally, we try to release information we hold without the need for you to make a formal access application, unless there are good reasons to require one.

Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act however, government agencies are not required to release information without an access application. The department reserves the right to require you to lodge an access application, particularly if there may be significant public interest considerations that need to be taken into account in deciding whether the information can be released or if you request a large volume of information or if it would otherwise take the department a significant amount of time to consider your request.

Step 3: Make a formal access application

If the information you are seeking is not available on our websites and is not otherwise routinely provided by the department on request, then you have a right to formally apply for access to specific information.

You can make a formal written application to:

Local Land Services
PO Box 897
Forbes NSW 2871

The Act says that we are only able to accept access applications that:

  1. Are in writing and sent to us at the address above;
  2. Clearly state you are requesting information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW);
  3. Enclose the $30 application fee (cheques/money orders should be made payable to Local Land Services;
  4. Include a postal address in Australia as the address for correspondence; and
  5. Include as much specific information as necessary to enable us to identify the information you are asking for.

If your application does not include these five things, it will be invalid and will not be processed. If that happens, however, we will let you know and we will help you, if possible, by explaining how you can make a valid application.

We will write to acknowledge receipt of a valid access application within five working days, and will deal with your application within 20 working days (subject to any extension allowed for under the Act). If any extension of time is required to deal with your application, we will let you know in writing.

Application fees and processing charges

The application fee for making an access application is $30. Processing charges can also be imposed at the rate of $30 per hour. In some circumstances an advance deposit can be required. We will let you know in writing if that applies to your application.

Certain discounts may apply, including on financial hardship and public interest grounds – for more details visit the Information and Privacy Commission NSW website.