NSW champions of Landcare celebrated at Albury
26 October 2017
The Champions of Landcare in NSW have been recognised today at the 2017 NSW Landcare Awards.
The awards, which were announced at the NSW Landcare and Local Land Services Conference at Albury, recognise the dedication, hard work and community leadership of Landcarers from right across the state.
Some of the most competitive categories were; the Junior Landcare Team Award, with Armidale High School Black Creek BushCare group taking the top spot; the Austcover Young Landcare Leader Award, which has gone to Sophie Robertson of Hunter Intrepid Landcare; and the Australian Government Individual Landcarer Award, which was awarded to David Marsh from Boorowa Community Landcare.
The categories of this year’s awards recognise work in a number of areas, including sustainable farming, Indigenous land management, Coastcare, innovation and protection of fish habitat.
Three champions are celebrated in each category with one being announced as the Grand Champion and NSW’s representative at the National Landcare Awards in 2018.
Chris McCulloch, NSW Landcare Program Manager with Local Land Services has expressed his excitement in announcing the Champions and recognising Landcarers.
“The awards are an amazing opportunity for us to say thank you to the boys, girls, men and women, who from all walks of life give their time to protect our country and its people,” Mr McCulloch said.
“Landcare is so diverse in NSW, it has strength in its flexibility, dedication and especially in its people power. These awards are a way for the whole community to celebrate its champions.”
Chair of Landcare NSW, Rob Dulhunty comments; “These awards show how Landcarers across NSW are using their skill, ingenuity and commitment to protect the environment and fundamentally change the way we view and use the natural resources that sustain us. The awards show Landcare’s unique strength in achieving innovation and collaboration. I warmly congratulate all winners and nominees.”
The NSW Landcare Awards are supported by the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program, NSW Government, Landcare NSW and Landcare Australia.
The Awards this year featured nine national categories with the addition of a fish habitat protection category specific to NSW.
The Award Champions for 2017 are:
Junior Landcare Team Award
- Chifley Public School
- Bourke High School – Yarra Landcare
- Nominee to National Awards: Armidale High School Black Creek BushCare group
Austcover Young Landcare Leader Award
- Joshua Gilbert – Intrepid Landcare
- Jade Paton – Wetland Warriors
- Nominee to National Awards: Sophie Robertson – Hunter Intrepid Landcare
Fairfax Landcare Community Group Award
- Northside Enterprise Inc. – Bushlink
- The Habitat
- Nominee to National Awards: FROGS Landcare Inc
Rio Tinto Indigenous Land Management Award
- Bangerang Aboriginal Corporation
- Northern Tablelands Local Land Services Aboriginal Reference Group
- Nominee to National Awards: Garguaree Swampcare
Sure Gro Coastcare Award
- Far South Coast Landcare Association
- Fingal Head Coastcare Inc.
- Nominee to National Awards: Clean4Shore
Australian Government Innovation in Agriculture and Land Management Award
- Braidwood Garlic Growers Group
- Beechwood Biological Solutions
- Nominee to National Awards: Kadwell Potato Co
Australian Government Excellence in Sustainable Farm Practices Award
- The Mulloon Institute
- Small Farms Network – Capital Region
- Nominee to National Awards: Murrumbidgee Landcare Inc
Australian Government Partnerships for Landcare Award
- Western Landcare NSW
- Wallamore Road Landcare Group
- Nominee to National Awards: Gwydir Shire Council
Australian Government Individual Landcarer Award
- Lloyd Foster – Coffs Harbour Bushland Regeneration Group
- Mikla Lewis – Lachlandcare
- Nominee to National Awards: David Marsh - Boorowa Community Landcare
NSW Fish Habitat Partnership Organisation Award
- Runner Up: Little River Landcare
- Champion: Inland Waterways Volunteer Committee
NSW Fish Habitat Partnership Individual Award
- Runner Up: Alan Izzard - Bass Sydney
- Champion: Ross Webster - Yass River
NSW Fish Habitat Partnership Highly Commended for Collaboration
- Murray Local Land Services
NSW Fish Habitat Partnership Highly Commended for Innovation
- Shoalhaven Riverwatch
Media: Chris McCulloch, 6333 2315 or 0427 061 164