Running livestock or chooks on small acreage can be a rewarding way to use the land you have. However, with this opportunity comes the responsibility to understand:
- your animals' needs - water, nutrition, welfare
- diseases that may impact your stock and how to prevent this
- your legal requirements and how to protect the local farm industry.
Following are a number of resources and articles that will help you better manage and care for your animals.
- Animal Husbandry and other Calendars
- Have animals? You need a PIC!
- Rural Living Handbook
- Buying livestock through Facebook or Gumtree? Be aware of the risks!!
- Animal Health Issues in Drought Conditions
- Fit to load guide - understanding your responsibilities when transporting stock
- How vaccines work (NSW DPI)
- Zoonoses - Animal diseases that can infect you
- Q Fever
- Fertilisers for pastures guide