Resilient Regional Agriculture
This project aims to increase the capacity of agricultural systems in the region to adapt to significant changes in climate and market demands. North West Local Land Services will partner with the Regional Agriculture Landcare Facilitators via Tamworth Regional Landcare and Northern Slopes Landcare to develop and empower local landholder groups through a series of workshops and group development activities to improve knowledge and awareness.
The workshops and activities will focus on farm biophysical, production and financial benchmarking tools and technology, understanding market traceability and provenance, managing climate risks, and understanding current and emerging market demands. These activities will improve the resilience of farmers in the region to changing market demands and climate.
- Nutrien Ag Solutions: identification and fulfilling niche grain marketing opportunities on the Liverpool Plains
- Agricultural and Extension Services: APSIM modelling to give growers skills in crop decision making
- Hart Rural: understanding Feed on Offer and ways to better utilise tropical grasses
- B & W Rural Moree: using Yield profit modelling to ground truth and benchmark potential yields
- Vanguard Business Services: working with the Mungindi Local Aboriginal Land Council to develop a Strategic plan for ‘Glanville’ Mungindi
- Sydney University:
- Formation of a group in North West NSW to promote the utilisation of native grains for food production
- Cover crop trial at ‘Nowley’ Liverpool Plains
- Pulse Australia: delivery of training for pulse growers to improve knowledge of pulse grain qualities
- Macintyre Ag Alliance: soil and land capability field tour
- Tamworth Regional Landcare Association – Wallabadah Creek Catchment Community: development of a Strategic Plan and identification of future project activities
- Yarrie Lake and Merimborough Landcare Group: review of Strategic Plan and delivery of capacity building activities
- Upper Mooki Landcare Group: rehydration of Upper Mooki River and delivery of capacity building event
- Bubbogullion 100 Landcare Group: multispecies cover crop trial and capacity building event
- Northern Slopes Landcare Association:
- Green Triangle Group: soil benchmarking
- Decision Making Training: formation of 3 groups and training delivered
- Horton Regen Ag Group: delivery of training with Regen Ag speakers – building resilience
- North West Plains Sustainability Group: understanding soil characteristics benchmarking.
This project commenced in July 2018 and will conclude in June 2023 and is funded by the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program.
Project contact: George Truman 0427 505 040