Improving the condition of regionally significant wetlands and river reaches
The Murray region is home to a number of significant aquatic ecosystems such as rivers, creeks and wetlands which provide essential habitat for wildlife including a number of threatened fish species. Land-use changes have meant that many of these ecosystems are now at risk of habitat loss and degradation.
Through funding from Catchment Action NSW, this project conducts activities to improve the condition of regionally significant aquatic ecosystems across the Murray region.
What are we doing?
The Aquatic Systems project is working with community groups and partner organisations to
- Protect and enhance the ecologically and culturally significant Pollack Wetland through pest and weed control activities, revegetation and community events;
- Protect and enhance Wanganella Wetlands through pest and weed control activities;
- Protect sensitive Montane Peatlands in the Upper Murray from feral horse impacts through the installation of exclusion fencing;
- Rehabilitate riparian areas along Mountain Creek, Ten Mile Creek and Billabong Creek through fencing, revegetation and the installation of alternative watering points;
- Increase habitat availability and productivity, and reduce bank erosion within the Edward River boat and ski zone through the revegetation of aquatic vegetation.
How can you help?
You can help improve the condition of aquatic ecosystems on your property by:
- fencing out stock from riparian and wetland areas
- planting native vegetation
- providing alternative watering points
- controlling weeds & pests
- managing bank, streambed and gully erosion
- leaving fallen timber and snags for habitat
Susanne Watkins - 02 6051 2234
Steve Thompson - 02 6948 9197
Josh Campbell - 03 5881 9935
Restoring Superb Parrot Flyways
The Restoring Superb Parrot Flyways project aims to restore superb parrot foraging habitat in the Mulwala-Saver...
Quality water is top priority for livestock
PRODUCTION ADVICE - MARCH 2020 - ANIMAL HEALTHBy Adrian SmithSenior Land Services Officer, Mixed Farming System...