Landholders reminded stock permits are required when using Travelling Stock Reserves or public roads

Local Land Services is reminding landholders of their legal obligation to have a permit for stock on Travelling Stock Reserves (TSR) and public roads.

Under the Local Land Services Act 2013, there are four types of stock permits, that authorise a person to:

  • Walk stock on a public road or TSR
  • Graze stock on a public road
  • Graze stock on a controlled TSR
  • Routinely move stock.

Walking stock permits are for travelling stock walking long distances from one destination to another.

Stock permits to graze on a public road are issued for short periods for specific sections of public road, in times of drought or for hazard reduction. These permits are normally issued to the adjoining landholder, as there are no watering facilities and stock must be returned to the property at night.

Stock permits to graze on a TSR are for an enclosed TSR, for use over an extended period.

Routine stock movement permits are issued to regularly walk stock between properties for the purpose of routine animal husbandry and grazing management.

Stock must only be out during daylight hours.

Note that stock transported by vehicle need a Transported Stock Statement.

Local Land Services Executive Director, Regional Operations Rob Kelly warned landholders there are serious consequences for not having an appropriate permit.

“If you are moving stock, it is really important that you have a permit," Mr Kelly said.

“Permits are important for planning and biosecurity, and if you don’t have one, you can be fined. There is also the risk of liability in the event of an accident.

“To apply for a permit to have stock on a TSR or public road, just contact your local Biosecurity Officer on 1300 795 299.”

Further information regarding TSRs is available here or landholders can contact their closest Local Land Services office.

Related news