Important advice for horse owners in NSW

Are you aware of the regulations governing the movement of horses into and within NSW?

You might want to start by reading or downloading our Frequently Answered Questions here PDF, 267.41 KB.

Horses moving into NSW from other states must meet the state of origin’s requirements until entering NSW and NSW requirements once in NSW. These requirements have been in existence for a number of years and are not in response to COVID 19.

If you are considering moving a horse within NSW during the COVID 19 pandemic, have you reviewed current COVID 19 advice from the Australian Government and reputable sources such as Equestrian NSW?

NSW police may monitor travel around the state and can request necessary documentation for the transportation of livestock, including horses.

Horse owners who intend to transport horses within NSW require a Transported Stock Statement (TSS). These can be obtained from Local Land Services (fees apply).

The only exceptions to the TSS requirement are when the horse is:

  • travelling interstate and their journey deviates less than 30 km into NSW
  • travelling across a public road from one part of a property to another
  • being transported for veterinary treatment
  • being transported to or from a show, exhibition, gymkhana or other event
  • being transported for work.

Horse owners must also keep a record of the Property Identification Code (PIC) of the property the horse is travelling to and from, including agistment properties. Find out how to apply for a PIC here (fees apply).

Contact us to talk about how to obtain a TSS book or how to apply for a PIC.

Our offices are open by appointment only at the present so the best way to contact us is to call 1300 795 299 or or fill out our online enquiry form here.

Read more about transporting horses here.

Related news

Related information