Rates frequently asked questions

Are rates the only source of income for Local Land Services?

No, rates are not our only source of income, they contribute one fifth of our funding. Other sources of income for Local Land Services can include grants and other contributions from state and federal government, and the sales of goods and services.

I am experiencing hardship, are there provisions available to me?

Where landholders are experiencing hardship, landholders are encouraged to contact their nearest Local Land Services office to discuss what options may be available to them, which could include setting up a payment plan.

Can I process one payment for multiple properties?

As each property has a separate account number you will need to pay each notice separately. Please use the reference number on each notice to make a payment. If you are mailing a cheque for payment of multiple notices, please include the remittance advice at the bottom of each notice being paid. This will ensure your payments are allocated to your accounts correctly.

Can someone tell me how much my rates will cost me?

Rates are calculated based on several variables and will look different for each property. These variables include:

  • General base and variable rate which includes a standard base amount per rateable holding plus a variable component based on the notional carrying capacity applied to your holding.
  • Animal Health base and variable rate which includes a standard base amount if you hold stock and a variable component (based on minimum stock numbers being declared in your Annual Land and Stock Return) multiplied by the notional carrying capacity applied to your holding. These charges will also apply for non or late lodgment of the annual return. The Local Land Services Regulation 2014 states 50 stock units are the minimum after which the animal health component will be included. The Regulation defines a stock unit as a 40 kilogram wether sheep of any breed – a 400 kilogram steer of any breed represents 10 stock units. The Regulation also provides equivalents for other types of stock.
  • Meat Industry Levy is charged on behalf of and passed onto the Food Authority on the same basis as the animal health rate. The levy has a base charge of $5.00 and is capped at a maximum of $130.00.
  • Special Purpose Pest Management Rate which supports statewide plague locust and pest animal control as a priority, while investing a portion in the management of state and regional pest priorities.

As there is a huge difference in scale of size, carrying capacity and use of properties across NSW, rates vary accordingly. Review your previous rates notice as an indication of what your 2022 notice may be. Animal Health Rate and Meat Industry Levy are included on rates notices where the Annual Land and Stock Return declared stock numbers exceeding the minimum numbers prescribed by the Local Land Services Regulation.

These components are also charged where an annual return is not lodged or lodged after the 31 August due date in the previous year.

What if I have outstanding rates from previous years?

Any outstanding rates or interest from previous years will be shown on your rates notice as arrears. These amounts were not part of the NSW Government drought relief measures and require payment. Any credit balance which might exist on the account will also appear on the rates notice.

What if the property I purchased has outstanding rates on it?

Ordinarily, outstanding Local Land Services rates would be identified during the conveyancing process (following a search) and would be adjusted at settlement. In some cases, conveyancers may not be aware they should request a search for Local Land Services rates and outstanding Local Land Services rates may transfer to the new owner or occupier.

Whilst the Local Land Services Regulation does enable an occupier or owner who pays money owing to Local Land Services accrued during the occupancy or ownership of the land by someone else to recovery of those amounts, Local Land Services does not enable this. The new owner (or occupier) should refer to their solicitor or conveyancer to seek recovery from the previous owner.

What happens if I don’t pay my rates?

Under the Local Land Services Act 2013, interest accrues on unpaid rates and charges. Local Land Services may take measures to recover outstanding debt after a period of time.

What if I feel that my rates have been calculated incorrectly?

In the first instance, a ratepayer should seek clarification on the calculation by contacting Local Land Services.

If the landholder believes their rates are invalid, they may lodge an appeal to the Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Where can I find more information?

If you would like more information, please call and talk to our team on 1300 795 299.

Related information