Using TSRs

There are restrictions on the use of TSRs at all times. These include camping, water usages, timber removal and firewood collection, motorbike and four-wheel drive use, fences and mechanical equipment.

These are designed to protect the integrity of the TSRs which are an asset of state significance.

When moving stock on a travelling stock reserve (TSR) or along a public road, you must follow these requirements:

  • Hold a permit. If you don’t have one you must apply for one at least two working days in advance.
  • Notify the biosecurity officer at the relevant Local Land Services region of any changes along the journey.
  • Stock must be deemed free of disease before entering a TSR or public road.
  • Walking stock are to travel along the route specified on the permit and stock may only be walked over TSRs between sunrise and sunset.
  • Stock must be yarded at night in a secure holding paddock or approved freestanding break.
  • Grazing or walking stock must be adequately controlled at all times.
  • There are restrictions on the use of TSRs. These include camping, water usages, timber removal and firewood collection, motorbike and four-wheel drive use, fences and mechanical equipment.
  • The mob size allowed on a TSR are dependant on seasonal conditions, water availability and various other conditions.
  • Approved stock warning signs (see below) must be displayed when stock are walking or grazing near or on a roadway.

For a more detailed list of TSR requirements or for further information, you can contact your Local Land Services office.

Using stock warning signs

When stock are grazing or moving near or on a road, approved black and yellow warning signs must be visibly displayed. These signs are available from your Local Land Services office.

Signs must be:

  • displayed when stock are being walked or grazed along or within 300 metres of a public road, except where a stock-proof fence separates the stock from the road
  • positioned so that a motorist is warned at a fair and reasonable distance of the presence or likely presence of stock
  • clearly visible to motorists who approach stock in either direction
  • positioned so that there are no more than five kilometres and no less than 200 metres between the sign and a place where a vehicle would encounter the stock.

Requirements may vary between districts, you should on contact us on 1300 795 299 before you plan to move stock or for information on the requirements for using stock warning signs.

The size and dimensions of the signs are available on the traffic signs page on the Roads and Maritime Services website, which can be used to have signs printed by any sign writer.

Pesticide use on TSRs

Local Land Services is responsible for managing TSR and weed and pest control programs are an essential part of this role. Our pest management programs apply humane and cost-effective methods that have minimal impact on the environment.

In response to the Pesticides Regulation 2009, we have developed the pesticide use notification plan. The plan provides information on how to avoid contact with pesticides.

For more information about pesticide use on TSRs, contact your Local Land Services office.

TSR use during drought

As drought conditions worsen, there is increased demand for access to TSRs, which can increase grazing pressure. The result is many TSRs reach critical groundcover levels.

Unless managed carefully, continued grazing will result in soil erosion and land degradation, as well as impacting on livestock welfare.

Read more about TSRs and drought.

Emergency management and TSR use during flooding

Local Land Services has put together an emergency management policy that details the use of TSR for emergency management during declared floods.

The policy applies to all customers that own or are in charge of stock in areas impacted by flooding and declared as a State of Emergency under the State Emergency and Rescue Act (1989).

Please note, this policy does not apply to TSRs in the Western Division.

For more information about emergency management, contact your Local Land Services office.

Related information