Local Landcare Coordinators Initiative
The Local Landcare Coordinators Initiative (LLCI) is a $15 million, four year project to renew the government - community relationship and unlock the full potential of the thousands of volunteers in the Landcare Network.
"Landcare NSW and Local Lands Services as a government and community partnership are stronger together in achieving outcomes for communities and landscapes"
The LLCI reflects this partnership sentiment. It has been designed to put resources back into Landcare where it has been called for - it will put landcare in NSW on a more sustainable footing, with the majority of the funds going to community-based local coordinator positions.
The 2015-2019 LLCI is significant in both its commitment of funds and also in its joint management approach. It will be collaboratively managed by Landcare NSW and the NSW Government, through Local Land Services.
The LLCI is structured to deliver three primary components:
- Local Coordinators - working with networks to build capacity and foster great action
- Community of Practice - a mentoring, support and networking program to help land carers share, communicate and learn from each other
- Sustaining Landcare - building a stable financial footing for Landcare into the future.
The initiative has seen a number of great achievements to date, including:
- the equivalent of 30 full time positions being rolled out across the state in the form of over 70 part time coordinators employed by these successful organisations
- a suite of state wide and regional networking events to support the Community of Practice
- the initiation of a state wide Landcare insurance program.
Leadership of the program at a state level is shared between the NSW State Landcare Coordinator (Landcare NSW) and the NSW Landcare Program Manager (Local Land Services). Working together, these roles are linking their organisations and building on the capacity of each.
For more details on the LLCI please contact:
NSW State Landcare Coordinator, Sonia Williams, 0411 113 590
NSW Landcare Program Manager, Chris McCulloch, 0427 061 164
Enquiries, 02 5852 1240
All program factsheets are currently being updated.